Re: lacquer vs. not

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on December 20, 2001 at 09:17:18:

In Reply to: lacquer vs. not posted by BZ on December 19, 2001 at 20:22:15:

The only clinical test I know of was done by Walter Lawson. Comparing the results recorded on a scope using the same horn with the same mouthpiece and an artificial buzz generator.

1) Today's silver plating is so thin it matched the base line of the raw brass horn.
2) Baked on epoxy lacquer deadened the upper overtones, but ONLY in the upper register by 20%.
3) Old time air dry lacquer gave a 5% reduction of the upper overtones (harmonics) but ONLY in the upper register of the French Horn.
4) Think about the register that the trumpet plays in. It can truly make a difference.
5) Think about the register a tuba plays in. Does it really make a difference?
6) Did you take a little extra metal off when you polished the tuba after removing the lacquer?
7) Did you believe in your heart that it would play brighter and therefore subconciously play differently now that the lacquer is removed?

But then like I said before. You can't tell me my car doesn't run better after it has been washed, vacuumed, and fragrance sprayed in the interior. If it really does, it must be something about the extra moisture now in the engine compartment.
Matt

Follow Ups: