Re: Re: false tones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on December 19, 2001 at 22:13:33:

In Reply to: Re: false tones posted by Kyle Cabral on December 19, 2001 at 21:37:50:

What I'm about to say pertains to BBb, but you can transpose to cover other keys of tubas. The open tones on tuba consist of the notes in the harmonic series above pedal Bb. In other words, pedal Bb (the fundamental tone of the instrument; often called first partial), low Bb (2nd harmonic or partial), F (3rd partial, etc.), Bb in the staff, D, F, a terribly flat Ab, Bb at the top of the staff, C, D, and so on are the open tones on tuba. On most brass instruments, an open tone can be played between the fundamental and 2nd partial; in the case of a BBb tuba, between pedal Bb and low Bb. Since this tone is not in the harmonic series, it's called a "false" tone.

In cylindrical bore instruments in Bb, the open false note is usually an F (a 5th above the fundamental or a 4th below the 2nd partial) or close to it. In larger bore Bb instruments, like tubas, Sousaphones, and euphoniums, it's an Eb between low Bb and pedal Bb. This allows low notes to be played that would ordinarily require a 4th or 5th valve to play. You would have an open Eb, 2nd valve D, 1st valve Db, 1&2 C, 2&3 B or Cb, and the ordinarily open BBb can also be played 1&3, pedal A can be played 123 or 2&4, and so on. Considering that most BBb 4-valve tubas have trouble with a low B, this allows an easy way to play that note.

Playing false tones requires a lot of lip control to keep the tone from turning to pure flubber. Some horns cannot play false tones well, while they pop out of some others easily. My current axe, a Cerveny 601 CC, is terrible with false tones; they won't center and sound lousy. Every other horn I've ever used with any regularity was pretty decent with them. For some reasons, Sousaphones are usually really good with them.

With a CC tuba, the open false tone will likely be an F. On an Eb tuba, an Ab, and on an F tuba, a Bb.

Greg "ludicrously long winded" Crider

Follow Ups: