Re: Philosophical thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on December 19, 2001 at 18:32:50:

In Reply to: Philosophical thoughts posted by N. Dwyer on December 19, 2001 at 15:35:38:

I suspect that this was the teacher's way of getting rid of a student who didn't show promise.
However, I do think that there are generalities of personality that are true for various types of instruments. When I played violin, which I did professionally, I never, ever seemed to click with other people who played violin. When I switched to horn, I just had a bonanza of fun sitting back in the back with the other hornists. I've almost never met a hornist I didn't like and get along with, and I rarely can do more than tolerate a violinist. Tuba players are like hornists, but more so...even more relaxed and easy to get along with. Too bad there isn't a tuba "section" in the orchestra.
I have a theory on the personality thing, at least as relates to horns and violins. All the violins are playing the same part, so competition as to who can play it better seems to be inevitable. In the horn section, everyone has his own part, and the emphasis is on blend and ensemble. Competition really is at a much lower level.

Follow Ups: