Re: What is it with playing LOUD ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 18, 2001 at 13:01:07:

In Reply to: What is it with playing LOUD ??? posted by Tim Cary on December 18, 2001 at 12:33:16:

Let's face it, the person who is attracted to the biggest brass instrument in the band is partly so attracted because of the opportunity to be the loudest person in the band.

I'm not a loud player, but for every once that the band director (a tubist himself) asks for more, he gives me the palm ten times. And that's true even when I'm the only tuba player in the band (which is most rehearsals and for some reason few concerts).

But the testosterone argument affects only some of those who play too loudly. Like many other players, the big attraction of the tuba for me is the sound. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in the sound that we think everyone else is into it as much as we are. All of us have to be vigilant to this temptation.

On the other hand, I have not noticed any tendency on the part of other instrumentalists, such as trumpet players, to play softly without prompting. This may be one of those boundaries between pros and amateurs. Then again, maybe not.

Rick "who, come to think of it, has heard a few pros bury their ensembles" Denney

Follow Ups: