Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 17, 2001 at 10:34:20:

In Reply to: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James again on December 16, 2001 at 14:17:51:

James, you're sending mixed signals. On the one hand, you're saying that your band is one of the best in the state. On the other hand, you're saying that the music you're playing is not challenging you musically. The question you need to answer is this: Why is your current high school band considered one of the best in the state? What defines "best"?

I would propose to you that your band's program isn't one of the best in the state for you, despite whatever ratings or accolades you may perceive. Why? Because the purpose of a band program is to educate the students in music. Obviously, if we take your statements at face value, your education needs are not being met. Forget about how other people describe the program you're in and look at it completely objectively from your standpoint only. Imagine that you're filling out an evaluation sheet with your opinions about the experience you've had this first half of the school year in band. How would you grade the experience? How much have you improved, directly as a result of your participation in the program? Can you identify any specific skills you have learned as a result of your band participation? Could you have made more progress?

This is an issue I address with all my students at some point. Have you ever wondered why you go to solo and ensemble festival? Do you know why your band competes at state festival? Why do you audition for honors ensembles? Many students will say they do these things to get a superior rating or to be accepted. This should not be the reason! You should do any of these activities because you feel (or have been told by somebody knowledgeable) that the activity has something to offer your education. In other words, your successful attempt should be rewarded with some sort of benefit. Don't audition for state honors band just so you can say you made it. Go with a purpose! I feel the same way about any other similar situation. Unless you are doing something for fun or because it is a requirement to be a part of an organization that you find beneficial, you should only do things that will reward you with improvement. Otherwise, aren't you wasting your time?

I can appreciate your difficulties in finding the money for tuition to institutions like Interlochen. Of course, you'll never know what kind of scholarship you can receive if you don't audition. I can also understand your reservations about transferring to the arts magnet school which you perceive as not as good a program as your current situation. Again, I would encourage you to re-examine how you define good. Which is better, a program that gets better ratings at contest and is a BOA program but offers you no personal challenges and doesn't let you get comfortable on your own instrument, or one that challenges you musically, gives you private lessons, and allows you to progress on your own instrument? In my mind, this is no contest. Too often, students get wrapped up in how important being great in their own high school band is and they forget that once you leave high school, nobody cares AT ALL what chair you were. The only thing they care about is how you play. If you are serious about pursuing music, you need to make decisions that will progress your abilities along that ladder.

If I remember correctly James, you're from Florida. Why don't you email me privately and maybe I can help you out (I'm located in Florida as well). Whatever decision you make, please make the one you think is right for you and in your best interests. This is hard to do and can feel like you're being a traitor to your band and band director. However, this is the only smart decision when it comes to learning how best to do what you really love to do. Best of luck to you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: