Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Get an appointment with the Principal on December 16, 2001 at 20:51:23:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

I think you and your parents should request a meeting with the Principal. I think the musical reasons for playing the CC outweigh the other considerations here, as "visual" issues shouldn't be a big deal in a concert band -- sound should be. Are all of the trumpets silver plated instruments? And, BTW, does he have any "say" in what trumpet someone in his band purchases? If not, then why should he have any part in the decision on your instrument? etc. etc.

You've stated and read all of the issues. Write 'em down, and go talk to the Principal. Be sure your parents are well versed on the issues. I'm appalled at your situation. But be sure to handle it professionally, regardless of what you think about the way your teacher is handling it.

If politics become involved, I wonder what the Principal would think if the local newspaper or your local TV station's investigative reporter ran an atricle on your situation? In Indianapolis, one local TV station is very happy to come to the aid of those who've gotten the shaft. It makes great footage . . . . This is, of course, a last resort approach. Here, you are appealing to the court of public opinion. Might help, might not. Probably won't be considered a "professional" approach by the administration! ;-)

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: