Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jared on December 16, 2001 at 17:32:26:

In Reply to: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James again on December 16, 2001 at 14:17:51:

Hey James,
Let me get this straight. The main point you're considering is whether or not your band director will or should let you play your CC tuba in the band, right? What do you want to play? If I'm not mistaken, it would be the CC, since you purchased it for a hefty sum with the intentions of playing it and excelling musically, right? Apparently, your tuba-racially-oriented band director is lacking in the major body-controlling tissue located just above the neck, also commonly referred to as the brain. Is it not the common practice of band directors these days to teach music? hmmm...It is my point of view, that if you are a serious musician dedicated to the love of music and the tuba, you should aspire in your own way, preferably playing that CC tuba which you so desired, and playing that only, for how are you supposed to eventually be a great tuba player, if in your early years of development, you are forced daily to practice on two entirely different feeling instruments? I say this because when I was switching to CC tuba, I was also having to play an old piece of fecal matter sousaphone, which had an effect on my playing, as I finally realized when my private teacher made the comment, "You'll eventually get accustomed to the horn." It took me 5 months, and many hours of practicing to finally "get accustomed" to playing the CC. Are you yet experienced enough to say you have control over your playing with YOUR horn? Of all this ranting and nonsense I have but one piece of advice: PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENT, BUT PLAY IT WELL. So if you bring it to school and play it in band, is your band director capable of failing you? what is he going to do, kick you out of band? If you are musically talented, he wouldn't do that, not if he had any part of the aforementioned tissues still floating around in his head. You should show him how well you can play by participating (and winning) tuba competitions, all-state competitions, solo and ensemble, etc. on your horn, and also play in other musical ensembles associated in and around your community, Just don't give in to the world's capitalistic view's of control, and express your ideas and thoughts with the musical community around you.

fellow brother of tuba,
jared

Follow Ups: