Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 15, 2001 at 23:38:14:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

I have just three words for you:

Transfer to Interlochen.

I did this myself when I got to the point where I felt my high school wasn't serving the best interests of my music education. This decision is not without consequences. You have to basically give up all the friendships you currently have and go many miles away from home and build all new relationships. Some high school students don't immediately adapt to life away from home. Some never adapt. But any arts oriented high school like Interlochen will give you the musical challenges it sounds like you seek.

If transferring to a private school (read TUITION) isn't an option for you, you might try seeking out an arts magnet school in your home district. Sometimes such things exist. I wouldn't transfer to another high school that wasn't arts oriented because you might end up trading one demon for another. If you don't have access to anything other than a high school situation similar to your own, I would suggest participating in as many outside musical institutions as possible (community bands, honors bands, solo & ensemble, brass quintets, etc.) and eventually get your situation to the point that you tell your director that you're no longer going to participate in his band. Really, what do you need that program for? You have your own instrument. In my opinion, if that program isn't helping you to grow as a musician, it isn't worth staying in, assuming you're serious about music. I'd seek other opportunities to better your playing.

If you do decide to quit, the advice I would give you is to be up front about it with the band director. Schedule an appointment to see him in private and explain why you won't continue in his program. The music business is a small world and you don't want to burn a bridge unless it is absolutely necessary. It may not be his fault that the program isn't challenging you, though I have a hard time imagining any scenario that would explain that. But give him the benefit of the doubt anyway. Who knows, he might actually understand what your concerns are and be able to help you find what you need.

Best of luck to you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: