Re: Getzen G-50 Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on December 14, 2001 at 15:01:09:

In Reply to: Getzen G-50 Questions posted by Mike I on December 14, 2001 at 13:00:29:

The G-50 is a good CC tuba and an ok BBb but like Rick said, it would take some cutomization to get the BBb side to work as well as the CC side. Also, I would think that because the horn was primarily designed as a CC tuba, that any problems the CC might have would be enhanced when put into BBb.
These horns are very popular and therefore command pretty good prices, even used. You would be spending about $4500-6000 for a used horn depending on what is available at the time. In my opinion, a better bet would be one of the new King 2341's. They follow a lot of the same basic design concepts and are kinda like the Conn 56J (CC tuba) which is kinda like the Getzen G-50. At circa $3500 new they are a very good playing piston valve horn.

BTW, someone mentioned that Matt Walters at Dillon Music might know how to contact George McCracken (???) who has made these carbon-fiber bells. I'm sure that these bells can be made to work just as well with the King as the Getzen. Even the specs between those two horns are very similar. I have heard the carbon fiber bell live and it sounds (at least in Avery Fisher Hall) just like a tuba should. I think it is a little ugly however and not really worth getting rid of what works with the horn any way. Supposedly, Chuck Dallenbach was going to switch back to a brass bell. I'm guessing, that like fibreglass the sound isn't really all that different, but the "feel" of the horn itself is what make the difference.

Matt G

Follow Ups: