Re: Yet another F tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Answer on December 12, 2001 at 16:49:17:

In Reply to: Yet another F tuba question posted by me on December 12, 2001 at 15:54:32:

This follow-up goes to the thread below regarding F tuba response as well.

Yes, some piston F tubas have bad notes. B&S slapped pistons onto the PT 10 a few years ago with mixed results. The Meinl-Weston 45SLP that gets so much press on this site has notes that have to be handled carefully. The Willson F's I have played have very good response but there is a difference between the low Db, C and B and the notes that surround that range. Only Yamaha seems to have solved this problem.

Here is what I think: the German style F tubas all have one thing in common in their design. After the main tuning slide, the tubing goes directly into the top branch which gives these horns a very long body (you can't reach over the top of this type of horn and easily reach tuning slides). On the other hand, the Yamahas have a loop of tubing after the main slide. I have no expertise in instrument design, but I suspect that that loop has something to do with the response of the resister in qustions.

Follow Ups: