Re: Do you double?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on December 12, 2001 at 13:39:42:

In Reply to: Do you double? posted by Lonny on December 11, 2001 at 14:36:47:

My main gig right now is French horn, but I keep having offers on violin, since that was my degreed instrument and is still my best, altho I don't enjoy it any more. I have made money playing electric bass, fiddle, violin, electric violin, viola, acoustic guitar, mandolin, classical guitar, horn, church organ,....and once even singing, to my astonishment. I play euph once a week in brass band, with no practice, and they are delighted to have someone, anyone, hit most of the notes in the bass Tbone part. I'm getting a tuba soon, and will play that in the brass band. I seem to pick up instruments to an intermediate level, quite quickly. Beyond that requires extensive practice.

As someone else said, the ability to pick up a style quickly is much more important that super technique.

As for practice, I think the amount needed differs for each person. On violin, with my extensive background, I can still just take it out of the case and go. Only drawback is sore fingers. On horn, I have to regularly practice; on euph, I seem to be able to play simple parts pretty easily. Electric bass and guitar, since they are strings, I can just pick up because I spent the necessary time to learn them many years ago.

Back when I lived in Albany, I was registered with the union as violin, mandolin, and guitar, and I got a call for a job that required exactly these three instruments, for a show that came through town. The guy practically begged me to take it, since I was the only one registered on these particular three instruments. I couldn't do it because of prior commitments. It would certainly have been interesting. (And of course I never, ever, got another call.)

Follow Ups: