Re: Do you double?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on December 11, 2001 at 21:58:12:

In Reply to: Do you double? posted by Lonny on December 11, 2001 at 14:36:47:

I started on tuba in high school, and I picked up trombone and baritone along the way. In college, I majored in tuba, but I knew that I never would be good enough to make my living at it. I picked up bass guitar, and have played bass in the same band for nearly 27 years; bass is my main axe now for both my main gig and pick-up work. I have found that the ability to adapt quickly to different musical styles is a bassist's greatest asset, not technique.

About a year ago, I started getting serious about tuba again, and I bought one in April. I've had growing pains with it, but I still love playing it the most.

As a Music Ed. major, I learned to play all of the wind instruments a little except for bassoon. I've picked up jobs on tuba, bass, trombone, baritone, alto horn, and string bass over the years, but not with any regularity. I only regret the string bass jobs; I'm not properly trained, and it shows. I try to play with a left-hand 4-finger stretch much like bass guitar technique, and it's awkward. The worst part is my bowing; I sound like someone trying to saw a cat in half. I don't try to play it any more.

Follow Ups: