Re: Help with high register please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on December 08, 2001 at 20:06:48:

In Reply to: Help with high register please! posted by David E-S on December 06, 2001 at 18:00:11:

I have something that has worked FOR ME, although others may disagree stridently. I usually do about 10-15 minutes of mouthpiece buzzing with a piano as a pitch reference before I pick up my horn to practice. I picked part of this up from Hank Feldman at Brevard last summer. But I have a very specific routine that I do.

Starting on C in the staff, I buzz C-D-C, C-E-C, C-F-C, C-G-C. Then I start on G in the staff; G-A-G, G-B-G, G-C-G, G-D-G. Then middle C, then high G. When I get to the point that I am unable to buzz with a good centered buzz, I switch to a 6-1/2AL trombone mpc., and continue upwards. When I get too high for that, I switch to a French Horn mpc. But I always try to maintain the same tonal quality in the buzz. Then I work my way back down all the way to starting the pattern on low G, below the staff, switching mouthpieces back along the way until I'm on a tuba mpc. again.

As I have been doing this for the last few months, I have noticed a dramatic increase in my control in the upper range. While I've only gained about a M3 or a P4 in increased range, the notes that I already had are much more secure, and I'm slowly extending the usable range. Another advantage is that I have been steadily strengthening my embouchure in both the higher and lower registers, because I concentrate on not using excess mouthpiece pressure. I make my air do the work. The result is (to me) a much more focussed and clear tone in the "cash register."

Might work for you, or it might not...

SD

Follow Ups: