Re: Re: Grosser injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wow on December 06, 2001 at 13:46:50:

In Reply to: Re: Grosser injustices posted by Jay Bertolet on December 06, 2001 at 11:53:53:

that's quite a story. I guess the advantage of being a private teacher is that you can kick them out when they're like that, and you don't have to wait for the college to do it for you. I guess the whining and crying routine is what worked for him with his parents when he was little, and they never figured it out enough to cure him of it.

Also reminds me of something that still stings....when I was a performance major in college, many years ago, I had not yet learned to relax when I played, and even though I was always doing my three hours per day, every lesson the teacher would say, "You are not practicing." He told the other faculty that I did not practice, too. It was awful. Finally, one week I just gave up and literally did not touch the instrument. When I went to my lesson, I was actually relaxed for the very first time, and the teacher said, "Now you are practicing."

Obviously I stopped being a performance major. Being an amateur is so much more fun, and I play better than I ever did back then.

Follow Ups: