Re: Re: Negative thoughts - help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 04, 2001 at 16:05:13:

In Reply to: Re: Negative thoughts - help! posted by confused on December 04, 2001 at 14:58:35:

Okay, here's one old fart's opinion:

1. If your tuba is REALLY expensive, trade down to a community-band type tuba, but I would not suggest selling it outright if you can keep from it. I did that when I changed majors, and regret it to this day.

2. Get a degree. Any degree. From any college or university. Just get one. Lack of a diploma will sooner or later limit your ability to be considered for a job you are otherwise qualified for. Live with Mom and Dad if you need to, but get a degree.

3. Don't pile on obligations (wife, kids, mortgage, etc.) until you have that degree.

3. Start working with your university's placement office as soon as they will talk to you. Go on tons of interviews, even ones where you don't want the job. If you are great at being interviewed, you'll have a better chance of landing a job you WILL love.

4. Go easy on yourself. I don't know what percentage of people your age change their minds about their career choice, but it's a lot. And while 22 seems aged to you, try to understand that your adult life has just begun. There's plenty of time to set a new course and follow it.

Joe Baker, who has been there. EXACTLY there.

Follow Ups: