Re: Re: Re: Re: Ken Burns film on PBS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike F. on January 02, 2001 at 10:40:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Ken Burns film on PBS posted by Christopher on January 02, 2001 at 09:37:48:

Hey everybody, happy New Year.
I received the book for Christmas, and even though I can't put it down I am only about 150 pages into it. So many great pictures, and many of them never before published. (also many of them very familiar, but still nice to see in such a BIG 9" X 11" hardcover book!)
OK, just so I don't turn this into a book review, I just want to say that of course it leaves something to be desired, and purists will undoubted complain about one thing or another, and a lot of the recent stuff is treated lightly if at all. This book (and series) is not the be-all and end-all of jazz history, nor is it meant to be. It is a wonderful and entertaining, and sometimes enlightening addition to your jazz library. It does not present jazz as a dead art, but rather a living, breathing, and fundamental part of the American psyche.
Anyway, enjoy the film, I know I will!
I don't know how the film will treat the tuba players, but the book hardly mentions them. There are some nice pics, but not much discussion.
MF

Follow Ups: