Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4-valve side action euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 28, 2000 at 18:54:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4-valve side action euphonium posted by Klaus on December 28, 2000 at 18:30:13:

Klaus,

Thanks for your comments and your perspective. The CB-30 of Chuck's is one of the best euphoniums I've ever played (not that I'm much of a judge), and I'm under no illusions that this old Besson will fit in those extra large shoes. But my current instrument is a vintage Reynolds, representing American state of the art in, say, 1937. The bore is small, the intonation questionable, the fourth valve extra-stuffy, and the horn 20 cents flat. I've surely played worse euphoniums than the Reynolds, and I would say it's a classic American baritone horn. But I've played better horns, too, including every compensator I've put to my lips. By comparison, the Besson should play better in tune, have a more open leadpipe and feel, a bigger bell throat, and a bigger fourth valve, not to mention that it will hold a proper euphonium mouthpiece.

So, I'm not expecting a Willson, but something that moves me in that direction, even if only slightly. At least I'm moving to a state of the art about 30 years more recent.

Who knows? It might be a dog for me, in which case I'll apply some elbow grease and you'll see it on ebay again.

Rick "expectations not exceeding $450" Denney

Follow Ups: