Re: I need your help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on December 28, 2000 at 17:32:13:

In Reply to: I need your help posted by Brandon Specht on December 28, 2000 at 00:46:28:

I would try to go to a T.U.B.A. conference or the Army Band Tuba/Euph conference in Washington D.C. in January. You can try out many horns back to back to back. If you purchase a horn, use the 10 day or two week trial period to make sure you like the horn. As tubagoo said, you might try the other brands as well as the Willson. Listen to other folks playing the horns.

As far as your technical questions go, you're only going to find the answer in yourself. Bigger is not necessarily better for about half the people out there. I like the big bell on the Besson, but my section mate likes the smaller. I like a deep cup mouthpiece with the smallest rim I can et away with while my section mate likes a medium cup and a larger rim. You probably won't be buying the horn and mouthpiece that will be with you for 20+ years, so don't stress about it. Your playing will change in college, and you'll find out after a couple years what our preferences are.

Let us know where you are buying your horn. There are a couple stores out there that'll give you a good deal. There's also a couple that'll give you a great deal, and a couple that'll rob you if they can.

Good Luck!

Follow Ups: