Re: Bell-wire protection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ringmaster on December 27, 2000 at 11:37:15:

In Reply to: Bell-wire protection posted by Ringmaster on December 26, 2000 at 13:15:37:

I've got a couple of ideas from this thread. I'm not concerned about any difference in how the horn plays - at this point - and can/will make any adjustment if the difference is significant enough. The split tube idea gives me an "inspiration".

First I'll split a tube - I'll have to experiment with tube-diameter - to see how it fits over the bell. For my idea, it'll have to be a bit loose (the tube, that is :). (BTW, I believe the transparent tubing available at hardware stores is vinyl.) Then I'll take the tube off the bell, coat the inside of the tube and the bell's rim with vasoline, then fill the tube with some kind of compound. (Suggestions for compound are welcome. I think many types of silicone would prove too soft.) Then I'll [carefully] place the filled tube on the bell. It's possible the compound may need to be partially dried when I do this. I'll see. I don't want the rim pushing through the compound, so I'll have to do this with the tuba standing up. If I find the right compound, I think I'll be able to make a good, even, tight AND removeable ring. Has anyone gone this far?? Comments?

Follow Ups: