Re: Music videos?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on December 25, 2000 at 17:23:53:

In Reply to: Music videos? posted by Sean Chisham on December 25, 2000 at 12:40:18:

The two you mentioned involved solo and small ensemble playing, but I'm going to haul in my favorites from larger forms:

On VHS (hopefully DVD some day)

Teldec-The Art of Conducting-Great Conductors of the Past

Teldec-The Art of Conducting-Great Conductors of the Golden Era

These are two incredible collections of conductors interacting with their players.

I've mentioned the VAI Chicago series many times on this bbs. Again I reiterate - Munch, Hindemith, and Reiner. And it's not just Bud and Jake. It is, as you asked for - musicians making music.

Again from VAI, the Stern, Rose, Istomin Trio from a Canadian telecast in 1963, playing the Beethoven C minor, Op. 1, No. 3, and the Brahms C major, Op. 87.

VAI - The Cleveland Orchestra-A Portrait of George Szell (VERY revealing).

VAI - Karl Bohm-Birth of a Symphony (rehearsal and performance of Beethoven 7th). If Bohm was THIS mean when he knew he was on camera, what was he like off? Szell is BARNEY by comparison.

VAI - Bruno Walter - The Maestro - The Man - From a 1968 Canadian broadcast. Rehearsal sequences of Brahms 2nd interspersed with an incredibly revealing interview. Watch Walter deal with the question of Jazz. It's no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Teldec - The Art of Singing-Golden Voices of the Century Everyone who ever sang good.

London - Hungarian Connections - Solti/Vienna Philharmonic - Hary Janos, Berlioz Hungarian March, Beethoven 7th, Bartok Rumanian Dances, Weiner Prince Czongor.

VAI - The Art of Igor Markevitch Vol. 1 - Another CBC telecast, this one from 1955. Sorcerer's Apprentice, Siegfried Idyll, and Young Person's Guide. Markevitch is legendary, awesome. This is his only known video so far.

DVDs

EMI - Maria Callas in Concert-Hamburg 1959 and 1962

Arthaus Musik - Mahler 5th Barenboim/CSO live in Cologne 1997. Barenboim DOES get mixed reviews, and I'm not a declared fan, but this is a beautiful performance with some very dramatic personal moments between maestro and players, not the least of which occurs during the bows, when Barenboim hands Herseth a long-stemmed rose. A collector's item.

Arthaus Musik - Live Concert from Semper Opera Dresden - Sinopili/Staatskapelle Dresden in a full concert which ends with Alpine Symphony, and they open with concerto by Vivaldi, followed by Weber's Jubilee Overture, and then Rienzi. This band still has managed to keep it's regional Central European sound. Like Vienna, only DIFFERENT.

Image - Messiaen-Quartet for the End of Time - Improvisations. What they DON'T tell you is that this DVD features the old guy HIMSELF, improvising on the organ. Talk about a collector's item.

Image - Previn-Streetcar Named Desire Live from the San Francisco Opera premiere. This work has had mixed reviews. It is derivative, Strauss poured through Copland, but it works. Previn is a pro, he knows how to pace, and how to pull your strings. Renee Fleming leads a great cast. And guess which instrument plays the first note, and the final downbeat. No peaking.

Image - Bruckner 8th Mehta/Israel Philharmonic live in Frankfurt 1987. The IPO gives Mehta more than he deserves. The band is a sea of some of the most expressive faces you'll ever come across.

Sony - Don Giovanni - Von Karajan's 1987 Salzburg Festival performance with Sam Ramey in the title role. You get to see Herbie nail everyone in the overture.

DG - The Magic Flute - Metropolitan Opera 1992. James Levine and a cast led by Kathleen Battle and Francsico Araiza. First rate ensemble, stage design, playing and singing.

Is this enough?

Follow Ups: