Re: Music videos?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on December 25, 2000 at 16:02:46:

In Reply to: Music videos? posted by Sean Chisham on December 25, 2000 at 12:40:18:

I found a few music DVDs on walmart.com, surprisingly enough. There's one of Glenn Gould... I believe it's somewhat biographical. I found another of Itzhak Pearlman, and another DVD of Horowitz. I'll probably purchase the Glenn Gould DVD, and possibly the others in the near future. Also, I think I remember seeing an Earl Wild DVD on either BestBuy.com or Amazon.com. And for those of you who can stomach it, Metallica S&M(that publicity stunt with Micheal Kamen and the SF Orch.) is out on DVD.. that's all I've come across so far, as I've only owned a DVD player for about a month... I think I remember someone mentioning an Andrea Bocelli DVD to me in the past, but I'm not big on vocal soloists. Anyone else know of any others? It sure would be nice if the Canadian Brass would start producing DVDs. Oh, almost forgot... for those of you who are "into" drum corps, I think I remember hearing that DCI did something with DVD last year.

Another source of good music on DVD, though not live performances, is Kubrick movies. Kubrick thought that having a score composed for a movie was a huge waste of time, since there was so much good music written and available already. Check out Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" in 2001, it's incredible. As far as VHS, all I can really thing of are the Bernstein Series, and the videos that the Philadelphia Orchestra put out over the last couple of decades.. oh, and of course the Canadian Brass videos. Well, that's about all I can think of right now... let me know if you find any other mentionable DVD titles!

-Anthony

Follow Ups: