Re: Re: flying with my yfb-621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerald J. on December 25, 2000 at 02:37:28:

In Reply to: Re: flying with my yfb-621 posted by Just wondering on December 25, 2000 at 00:34:08:

I did it once in January 1970 by buying a seat (half price when I didn't say what the instrument was). The bass didn't fit in the coach, so rode first class, tied down with a seat belt extension that didn't fit so was tied in a granny knot (not a square knot that might hold). When I arrived at Washington National the morning of the flight, the counter attendant was very happy I didn't want to check the bass. When I got to the top of the stairs at the plane, the chief stewardess snorted, "That should have been checked baggage" so I wanted to slap her in the face with its ticket, but refrained though I showed the ticket at that point. I won't try that again with a fine bass. Maybe a plywood bass.

The general consensus on the 2xbass list is that the only way to fly a bass is with a sturdy case made for the purpose from Kolstein or Gage. And that case can cost $2000, and up. Even then basses have been known to be reduced to kindling by cargo handlers tossing out of the plane. A broken bass is easier to fix than a smashed tuba since the wood just breaks, it doesn't stretch and bend much.

From Winnipeg to Chicago, I'd be inclined to drive. Renting a car round trip isn't as expensive as air fare and then one has more control of the instrument and schedule (baring winter weather). Airlines that can sell every seat of every flight are not inclined to be especially friendly to odd customers (or their regular repeat customers).

Gerald J.

Follow Ups: