Re: Re: flying with my yfb-621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by F Tubist on December 25, 2000 at 02:28:31:

In Reply to: Re: flying with my yfb-621 posted by john on December 24, 2000 at 14:07:42:

I have flown well over 100 times with an 822F as checked baggage, and it only took 3 or 4 flights to get a good wrinkle in the bell and a big dent in the bottom bow, as well as a crack in the Yamaha case. I bought a Walt Johnson case right after that, and never got another flight related dent or ding. I'm about to add a 621F to my collection, and the case for it is noticably less sturdy than the 822 case. The most worrisome part is the way the bell end of the case is shaped. A heavy suitcase could slide down the tuba case, hit the sharply flared end, and crunch the tuba inside. Aside from buying a small Walt Johnson case (just over $500), I think you'd be better off getting a really sturdy box (since the tuba is quite small) and packing it the way tubas are normally shipped...lots of peanuts, and with no case. BTW, having flown many times trying to carry a trombone onto the plane, I think it'd be a cold day in hell before you'd talk your way onto a plane with even a small tuba case.

Follow Ups: