Re: Re: Re: the best CC tuba???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on December 22, 2000 at 23:52:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: the best CC tuba??? posted by Steve Dedman QUESTIOS FOR AUBREY on December 21, 2000 at 00:57:44:

Christof, the head designer (I know I didn't spell his name right), introduced the 2195 horn to me as a new 5/4 CC. The version I tried is silver with four pistons and a lower whole step 5th rotary. Soundwise, the horn is extremely smooth, resonant, open, and easy to play. Of course, these things may have come easily to me because I've been playing Mirafones exclusively. I didn't get a size on the bore, but from the way it played, it felt slightly larger than a 188. Like all Mirafones, the horn cuts very well and would make an outstanding ensemble horn, and, in my personal opinion, would be among the best for orchestra. However, like all big Mirafones, the horn is best suited for an ensemble setting and would most likely not be used in a professional audition situation. Barring that, the horn handles superbly well and I would recommend it to all tuba players to try it out and consider giving it a trial run.

ALSO, Mirafone featured a 188 with a valve lever on the left hand which, when pushed, would lengthen the first slide. The slide is spring loaded, however, and returns to its original position once the lever is released. A very neat gadget, but it has its pros and cons.

Follow Ups: