Re: Re: Head Scratcher & a Pal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 22, 2000 at 12:00:01:

In Reply to: Re: Head Scratcher & a Pal posted by Joe S. on December 22, 2000 at 11:07:24:

I agree with Joe. It is mechanically impossible to have horns identical except for the valves, so all comparisons therefore must consider other differences as well. It might be possible to construct such a test, but to what end?

I suppose I wasn't aware that Nirschl supplied the valves to other manufacturers. I wonder why those others manufacturers would not say so? After all, grand pianos these days are almost all supplied with a Renner action, but that seems to have little effect on the playing characteristics of the piano. None of the piano manufacturers seem to be reluctant to reveal who made the action, as if it is a mere commodity--like valves--and not critical to the unique character of the instrument.

A lot of advertising is centered around valves, and I wonder how much effect on the instrument the valves really has. Once they are mechanically sound, which does not seem to be black magic (i.e. Weril apparently makes good valves), it seems they are all competent and the differences are not substantive. Relatively little advertising is devoted to the taper design and bottom bow, which seems to have a much greater effect on the horn.

Rick "who wonders what tubas used Nirschl valves" Denney

Follow Ups: