Re: Re: Re: King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 21, 2000 at 13:38:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: King 2341 posted by Carl L on December 21, 2000 at 11:17:24:

I know you asked Sam, but in case he's doing something more important, I'll jump in.

The 2341 is a 4/4 horn, with outer branches similar to other 4/4 horns. The bore is smallish for a 4/4, but you can't tell it in the sound.

I don't think the satin-silver finish will affect the sound. Some disagree, and they may be right for instruments with high harmonics like trumpets. But for a tuba, any difference is too subtle for my ears, and those who have heard differences might be hearing the differences between two horns and not the difference resulting from the finish. Even if it does, the preference for those who have a preference seems to favor horns with no lacquer, including raw brass and silver-plated horns.

The 2341 has come with bell sizes that vary from something like 19 inches to something like 23 inches for the upright bell. The bell looks huge, and without something to compare it to, might skew your impression just looking at a photo. It's a full-size horn, but not a BAT.

The hard cases I've seen for 2341's were in two parts--one for the body and the other for the bell. It's not one of the horn's brighter features.

Rick "was considering one until the York Master came along" Denney

Follow Ups: