Euph ID

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Tyler on December 20, 2000 at 12:22:22:

Information please. I have recently purchased a Conn four valve Euphonium with upright (rain catcher) bell, upright inline valves with the fourth valve set a tad lower than the first three. To picture this horn, think King 2260, Yamaha YEP-321, Holton N302R, Jupiter 470, or Weril H980. This horn has the following differences: instead of the tubing loops from the first three valves laying alongside the valves in a downward direction, on this horn the first and third loops go both up and down, above and below their exit points from the valve casings, and the second valve loop goes UP!
The horn is satin silver except at the logo which is polished art deco design with a lady in a pentagon inside a pentagon. Conn made instruments of this type in the early part of the century, but the main tuning loop was between the mouthpiece receiver and the first valve, and the bell extended well above the main tubing like a smoke stack. This horn has the main tuning loop after the fourth valve, and the bell extends about the same distance as the above mentioned Euphoniums. The serial number places the date of manufacture in 1952. I know the model number should be on the lead pipe at the mouthpiece receiver, and the number designation should be followed by the letter I for Euphonium. On this horn there is the number 841 with the last digit clearly a number one and not the letter I. The horn was initially sold to the United States government and is so marked.
My questions are; what is the model number of this horn, and what years was this horn produced. Any other information you feel would be pertinent would also be appreciated.
I have written to the University of South Dakota a couple of weeks ago, but have received no reply. I assume they are on Winter break.

Thanks in advance, Jim Tyler

Follow Ups: