Re: Conn 5J opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on December 20, 2000 at 11:28:43:

In Reply to: Conn 5J opinions? posted by Mike on December 20, 2000 at 08:19:03:

Hey Mike,

I've played the 5J, and currently own a 12J (exactly the same horn, w/out the 4th valve). I wanted the 5J, but it wasn't available on the used market at the time. Used 12J's are generally real bargains, if not in abused condition. Got mine for about $650, and have paid for it with the gigs done on it.

It's a rugged little wonder, and for the most part sounds larger than the specs might suggest. Yes, it's a little sluggish in the low register (below FF), but I think that a focused approach will still achieve respectable results. Once you get the notes started, the sound is decent- that 18" bell probably helps keep it full. It's not the horn for you if your daily fare consists of mega-bottom honkin' orchestral stuff. However, it's a decent horn for most band literature, and not bad for much of the lighter orchestral repertoire. Low reg. tone has a nice bite to it, depending on your chops & approach, of course.

Easy high register for a BBb. Plays efficiently- with the right approach you won't ever get tired. Great for quintet, small orch., and combos (Dixie, etc.) I've used it for large community band gigs too, although I would recommend something bigger there.
Projects very well. Works great for mic'ing & recording. Sound is "Compact", but not too small (prob that 18" bell again).

Intonation is quite good for its class & Slides are in the right place for any adjustments. Mid register is nice. Only drawback for me is the low register sluggish response (not the sound itself, however)

It ain't a Getzen G-50, but hey, at a fraction of the price . . .

Given the quality of the pedal BBb and the false tones from Eb on down (pretty darn good considering the size), I suspect that this horn would be great if the 4th valve were located "downstream" (a-la Besson Euphonium) where a bigger bore would open things up down there.

As I posted a while back, this is being looked into, since the 12J I currently own needs the 4th added. There's a nice straight stretch of tubing around .740" bore I got my eye on . . . .

Hope this helps. As always, get your hands & chops on one, preferably not one damaged by school students.

Sincerely,
Mark Mazak

Follow Ups: