Re: Re: Re: Re: acid baths

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by be careful on December 19, 2000 at 13:08:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: acid baths posted by TSAN on December 19, 2000 at 12:25:37:

You need to be very selective about how and when you "bathe" your horns. For instance, older more delicate horns can't withstand frequent acid cleanings. I took an Alexander of mine for an annual cleaning that over the course of 3 cleanings completely killed the horn.

Be very sure that the person who cleans your horns has an appropriate mix, as well. The last thing you want is having to breathe acid fumes every time you play your axe for weeks after you have it cleaned. Being lightheaded from fumes while trying to play Mahler is no fun....Trust me, I've had to do it.

I have finally found a reliable source to bathe my babies when they "need to be bathed." This person charges $99.95 for my 4/4 tuba and $125.00 for my 6/4 tuba. You're getting a raw deal if you are paying any more than that.

As far as the frequency of bathings is concerned, don't over do it. As I said earlier, it can be damaging to the horn. The acid baths are meant to "kill the bugs." If you have a lot of green shit growing in your horn, then you need it. However, immediately after you have an acid bath weekly slide and valve cleanings with warm soapy water will make your visits to the shop far less necessary.

I hope this helps.

Follow Ups: