Re: hORRIBLE PEDAL REGISTER!!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on December 19, 2000 at 11:00:22:

In Reply to: hORRIBLE PEDAL REGISTER!!!!!!!! posted by extremely frustrated on December 17, 2000 at 19:20:48:

I may have missed what I'm about to say in this thread already, and if so, I apologize.

I not only teach and play music, but also work at a police department as a part-time patrol officer (SGT). Along with this experience and time in the military, I have to lift weights. Once, when I was in a lifting session, I heard this advise:

If you want real strength and flexibility, you have to work the muscles in both directions.

By this, the instructor implied that if I want real strength increase in my arms, I must both curl and reverse-curl. If I don't, I will not gain the strength in one direction, and I loose flexibility.

To translate this to playing in the pedal register, practice both low and high range excercises. If done correctly, one can gain flexibility by running 2, then 3, then 4 octave slow scales, and practicing excercises that encompass large ranges.

A book of excercises that I have found helpful are the Ahroni studies for Bass trombone. I'm sure I'm incorrect on his name spelling, since I'm at school and my books are at home.
He is the bass tromboneist for thre Israel Philharmonic.

Tom

Follow Ups: