Re: Sousaphones to BBflat and Back Again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 18, 2000 at 14:42:15:

In Reply to: Sousaphones to BBflat and Back Again posted by SD on December 18, 2000 at 14:23:31:

The four-valve EEb might be bid up to $1000 on ebay, depending on condition, from what I've seen. Someone wishing to fix up an old 3-valve EEb tuba might just want your EEb sousaphone for its valve section (which would cost more than $1000 to purchase "new").

Used condition BBb fiberglass kings might go for up to $600 on ebay, again, depending on condition. Why not monitor the auctions for a few weeks and answer your questions more accurately than I just did?

If you're lucky, you might end up with almost enough money to buy a St. Pete 4-rotor BBb tuba. The St. Petes are not popular on this BBS, but I have observed that some of the better St. Petes are considerably more fun to play than Yamaha 321's or Jupiter 4/4's (other 4-valve BBb "full size/economy" tubas) which, without adding much extra money, might be the other tubas in consideration if you liquidated the three sousas. In the BIG "minus" column for St. Pete, though, would be parts availability and compatability.

In a smaller BBb tuba with 4-valves, there is the Weril which I and others sell with case for about $2K.

Follow Ups: