Re: Conn 56j vs. Kalison DS CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on December 15, 2000 at 17:49:24:

In Reply to: Conn 56j vs. Kalison DS CC posted by Anthony on December 15, 2000 at 14:49:04:

I played a Kalison for a couple of years, and I am replacing it with a new horn this Christmas. The major problems I have are with certain intonation issues, (I will give you that no horn is perfect and neither is my playing!), and I have had some valve issues. Despite lots of work, my valves are still a bit of a pain. I have heard that the newer horns do have better valves, but do not know for a fact. Also, the very soft bell has been a consideration as well, but if you treat a horn as it should be, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. (I have been in an accident with my DS and have some ugly creases; I will admit I am guilty of not taking the greatest care of my horn, so this is a negative where I am concerned!) Those are just my problems. I have colleagues playing the Kalison horns who like them very well and "get along" just fine with them.
For the 56j, it seems to be a well-designed horn from what little I have seen of it. Again, horn buying is a touchy issue, and very personal, which I'm sure you know. My best advice to whatever you get is make sure you are completely comfortable with your decided horn before buying. The worst thing is buying a new horn two years after the first because of not carefully weighing decisions! Find what works for you, these are just opinions.
Good luck!

Follow Ups: