Re: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Pritchard on December 15, 2000 at 12:59:50:

In Reply to: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation posted by Chuck Jackson on December 13, 2000 at 20:34:23:

Hi,
I think what is missing from this conversation is that Bruckner was an organist. That IS what he heard when he was writing the symphonies. Now the question comes up "well organs don't sound like tubas" and I held the same opinion unitil this summer when I heard an amazing large organ in Germany. (There aren't too many like this in the US). I felt the sheer power and tone of this beautiful instrument and then I understood. Get some good recordings of organ playing. For some people this is might take some time to sythesize this information into your playing. BUT there is a shortcut. Messiaen (1908-1992) {French composer, man he rocks!) was also an organist and he wrote a piece called L'Ascension for Organ and then he orchestrated it. There is a recording by the Orchestre de L'Opera Bastille (Myung-Whun Chung conductor) and there are lots of recording of the organ version (I have a recording of Messiaen himself playing it) and you can hear first hand how organ transferrs to orchestra it was an eye opening experience for me.
thanks,
Bill Pritchard

Follow Ups: