Re: Binak valve oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Kilen on December 14, 2000 at 20:20:51:

In Reply to: Binak valve oil posted by Ian Easton on December 14, 2000 at 09:40:05:

I've been using BiNaK for almost a year now, and I just keep getting more impressed with the stuff. I use it on my older Besson compensating euph and only have to re-oil about once every month or two. No more hang ups like I had with Al Cass and to a lesser extent with Hetman Synthetic. I also use it on my Yamaha 682G trombone slide, and it works the same wonders -- smooth and fast action, no need to spray with water, and only re-apply once a week or so. The biggest thing I've found about BiNaK is that it's very very easy to over apply it. One or two drops per valve, and only two per trombone slide. Anything more and it gets sluggish.
As far as the valves gumming up -- the best way I've found is to clean the valves or slide first, then put one or two drops on, work them around till they get all gummy and milky (that's BiNaK cleaning off the old oil residue), then wipe off, re-apply, work until milky, and repeat over and over until smooth. When they're working right, you'll know it. Also I've found that when I first get the valves or slide set up and I think it's really good, if I let it sit a day or two and come back to it I find that it's even better yet. Not sure why it works that way, but it sure does.

Good luck

Doug Kilen

Follow Ups: