Re: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James W on December 14, 2000 at 08:03:05:

In Reply to: Bruckner and the Art of Interpretation posted by Chuck Jackson on December 13, 2000 at 20:34:23:

Maybe its just because I am more familiar with the European style of playing (understandable being English), but for me technical precision is never a substitute for a musical performance. That is not to say that I enjoy sloppy timing/articulation, just that a robotic, metronomic performance leaves me cold (although re reading this sentence it sounds a lot harsher than I intended it to. I was trying to make a general point, not a criticism of American orchestras).

As for the issues of articulation and attack, I think that this is the single biggest diference between the two schools of brass playing. Particularly on tuba, and particularly in England where brass band culture is so prominent, there is a tendancy to place far more attack on notes than it is possible to do on the huge booming 6/4 instruments of the US orchestras, although I love the sound that there massive instruments produce.

I think I'll stop before I end up rambling on far ages (I love this kind of topic - the vast differences of interpretation that different people can see in the same ink fascinate me. I'm always amazed my quite how stark the contrast can be).

James.

Follow Ups: