Re: Tuba manufacturers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 12, 2000 at 12:24:21:

In Reply to: Tuba manufacturers posted by Duke on December 12, 2000 at 11:16:50:

No expert on tuba making am I, but I know a little about manufacturing in general.

Consider your car and some other car at the other end of the cost spectrum. Whether you're driving a Lincoln Towncar or a Geo Metro, there is likely one company out there making brakes for both, another company making alternators for both, and so on. These cars are as different as night and day, even though the parts often come from the same sources. But there is SO much that goes into an assembled item beyond who makes the pieces. First of all, even if the same company makes parts for both, it doesn't mean they are made to the same specifications. The dimensions, performance, durability, and acceptability standard are specified by the company ordering the parts, and have far more to do with the final product than who makes them. Second, it is the tweaking, tuning, skill and care of assembly that often makes all the difference. So even if the .750 tubing* is from the same lot for Cerveny and Hirsbrunner, it doesn't follow that the horns will be of the same quality.

I await more tuba-specific responses, but expect that my analogy will hold up.

Joe "Wishing you all the most blessed of Christmas seasons" Baker

*I have no idea whether Cerveny or Hirsbrunner use .750 tubing, or whether they order from the same source; numbers and manufacturers were strictly pulled from thin air.

Follow Ups: