Re: Re: Another Satisfied Customer.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh on December 11, 2000 at 16:19:23:

In Reply to: Re: Another Satisfied Customer..... posted by Mary Ann on December 11, 2000 at 15:24:32:

Actually, the Meinl's were remarkably open. I have played a Yamaha YFB-621 for the past 2.5 years. Great little horn. Very easy to play.

I have limited experience working on German F's. But the 45slp is my favorite "total package" German F. It's got a great sound, great response, and very easy to play high and low....and that's coming from a guy who's had an easy Yamaha to play! It's also VERY affordable for what it is. I've played on several other F's, including some very fine Hirsbrunner piston F's. Those have a slightly (very slightly) more open low end, but it's gonna cost you quite a bit more for 2 or 3 notes that MIGHT be easier to play. My feeling is.....practice, spend time on the horn and learn how to play it. It's possible, just listen to Michael Lind or Markus Hoetzel or the older Bobo recordings.....those guys could play anything on those horns.

One other observation that I've made....and this may just be me....my 621 had a better low end than my 822. The 621 was just dead-on all the time. I have to finesse the 822 just a hair....but it's got such a sweet sound and so much more presence that make it soooo worth it!

I will say that it VERY difficult choosing which horn to get....especially when there were 4 really nice Meinl's in front of me.

Man, I need to hurry up and win the lottery so I don't have to make these decisions ever again!!!!!!!

Josh

Follow Ups: