Re: Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 11, 2000 at 15:18:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F posted by Rick Denney on December 11, 2000 at 12:41:51:

Interesting experiment but I think there is a major flaw in your process. You truly cannot compare your Yamaha F low range to that of your York BBb because of the lack of a 5th valve on the York. I believe this makes all the difference in the world in low range playing. Unfortunately, I can't prove that hypothesis other than to suggest that you have a 5th valve added to the York, a procedure I'm almost positive that you won't try. I'd be curious to know if you had any luck with the low D fingered 234. On every tuba I own, the only note I finger in the low range that doesn't use the 5th valve in the combination is the 234 fingering. Every other one uses 5th valve. Amazingly, this is completely consistent between all 5 of my tubas, except the 234 fingering isn't as closely in tune for me on the Willson Eb as 245.

I've always felt that finding fingerings in the low range that yield consistent and accurate intonation were a major factor in being comfortable playing in that range. I had the same problems as you when I had my York Master BBb. I never was comfortable playing low Eb 124 or 14. It just never slotted for me. I think once you go down that road of adjusting the intonation at the mouthpiece because you don't have the options with the fingerings, you end up in a place where not much truly feels comfortable. Maybe it is just psychological, I don't know. I always had a real problem not having a solid fingering for the note one half step above the fundamental pitch of a given instrument. And false tones never sounded the same to me as regular pitches. Maybe I'm just stubborn?

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: