Re: Altering a tuba...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 10, 2000 at 14:12:07:

In Reply to: Altering a tuba... posted by Benjamin Schardt on December 09, 2000 at 20:23:06:

I agree with Chuck's observations re: Alex CC intonation problems, particularly if you chop one down from a BBb.

As to the dents effecting the sound and intonation, why not hire and fly in a committee of the world's finest tuba-ists. Prior to their arrival, have all of the dents removed from your tuba. Once the panel of experts is assembled, play the instrument and have them write down some comments and rate the sound of your instrument. After this, RE-dent your instrument in just the same way that it was previously dented and play ANOTHER session for the panel, having them write down a new set of comments. -- If the SECOND set of comments is more favorable, leave the newly-redone dents in. If the FIRST set of comments was more favorable, re-remove all of the dents.

(Sorry to be so silly, but it was the best way that I could demonstrate to you that no one could possibly answer your dent question with any authority.)

Enjoy your Alex. I'm sure it has a great sound, as I remember my old '50's Alex had.

Follow Ups: