Re: Re: Re: Re: rudy 4/4 vs YCB-861

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 08, 2000 at 22:09:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: rudy 4/4 vs YCB-861 posted by Sylvain on December 08, 2000 at 11:35:12:

It is a somewhat good theory which is born out by the empirical data. Obviously even two versions of the same horn, with a minor variation in the wrap, resulted in very different final products. I don't think it has so much to do with the relative worth of BBb versus CC as much as dumb luck. This is also born out by the empirical data because it is my understanding that Rudy Meinl designs his horns mostly by trial and error. He's really produced some great tubas but I think the downside of that process is that you can't really predict what effect certain variables will have on a design developed that way unless you get out your hacksaw and start testing variables manually. You could just have been on a lucky streak, trying a string of good BBb tubas. My experience has been that the older Rudy 4/4 CC tubas are the better ones, if you can manage the intonation difficulties. There's just nothing precisely like that Rudy sound! And if you find a good BBb, it's never too late...is it?

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: