Re: military weight requirements

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah on December 08, 2000 at 13:13:40:

In Reply to: military weight requirements posted by curious on December 08, 2000 at 10:17:52:

I think the average heighth for women is 5'3 or 5'4--the army's max weight is 120-125. For the navy it is 150. The marines are more strict and I have no idea about the air force; i'd say it is comparable to the army.

There is quite amount of leeway given before bootcamp, however afterwards, you'd better keep the pounds off. If you audition for the Marine band and you look quite porkly, they may not even consider you EVEN if you are the best player auditioning, however, I am NOT an authority on that.

Don't always assume you'll loose weight at bootcamp, Sean didn't loose but a few (however, he lost several inches off his waist). I weighted about 105 before entering and gained 7 pounds which I have proudly kept on and really needed.

Preparation:

Do not go overboard on your musicality. Military bands typically like a polished, middle of the road (when it comes to interpretation and style) players so they don't stick out of a section.

Good rhythm is extremely important.

Technique is important (duh).

A clear sound, clean cut appearance, sightreading is quite important, however, every audition I have EVER taken in a military band, no one was chosen simply based on their sight reading ability.

They DO NOT hire based on potention. Play through all of your music everyday at least twice without stopping and starting excerpts. Then go back and work on them.

Good luck on your audition. Farah

Follow Ups: