Re: The miss prints of tuba concert by RVW.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 08, 2000 at 13:01:53:

In Reply to: The miss prints of tuba concert by RVW. posted by Keita on December 08, 2000 at 12:10:04:

I made my own copy from the handwritten rental score more than twenty years ago. If you count all of the articulations - added by Phil Catalinet and NEVER removed from the "for sale" Oxford version - there are literally HUNDREDS of "mistakes".

The first example of this is the first four notes of the piece, and another example right away is all of the contrived articulations in those upward modal arpeggios in the early part of the first movement. Both of these, in the score, are marked with simple long phrase marks - just like the string parts are when the strings play those same motives. Listen to most recordings and notice the striking discrepancy between the style of the strings' upward arpeggios and that of the tuba soloist.

If you BUY the for-sale mini-score, I'm afraid you'll likely see the solo part "junked up" with articulations similarly to the way it is in the Oxford over-the-counter version.

Follow Ups: