Re: military weight requirements

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on December 08, 2000 at 12:11:04:

In Reply to: military weight requirements posted by curious on December 08, 2000 at 10:17:52:

Here is a site that has the weight control info:
http://books.usapa.belvoir.army.mil:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/r600_9/TABLES

Your recruiter should weigh you at the Recruiting Station before you are sent to MEPS for the physical screening, if that is a questionable factor. They might let you ship to basic if you are within a pound or two of your limit (depends on the mood of the person weighing you). While you will lose some weight in basic (I lost 30 pounds-and have gained 20 of it back), if your weight is something that has always been an issue, seriously consider if you are willing to make your weight a career threatening factor before you sign up. The job is not nearly as rewarding if you live from weigh-in to weigh-in. I am fortunate to be rather tall, so it is not really an issue with me, but there are many musicians who struggle with this regularly.

On a side note (not specifically to "Curious") - don't audition if you know you can't make weight or pass the tape. There is no magic waiver for overweight musicians. People have won band auditions who cannot take the job due to weight.

BTW - don't mean to ignore the other question. Just go up there and give a fair representation of your playing ... and knowing Fingal's Cave can't hurt.

Tom Bratten
ANC Sousaphone

Follow Ups: