Re: Re: OK,If Matt Walters can gripe, we can too

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 06, 2000 at 11:31:16:

In Reply to: Re: OK,If Matt Walters can gripe, we can too posted by The Voice of Reason on December 06, 2000 at 10:29:20:

Well, that's one approach. But I wonder if it is based on fear that is a bit unreasonable.

Firstly, if someone is going to steal my credit-card info, they will discover soon enough that I keep few of them and either maintain small limits (on purpose) or took advantage of low interest rates and bought something big with it already. The only one that doesn't fall into that category is the card I use exclusively for business travel. And that card has been shown to clerks of various sorts all over the world without concern.

But, really, any time a large unauthorized charge appears on your statement, you can call the credit-card company, protest the charge (in writing), and not pay it until it is resolved. So much is your legal right, as I read the fine print. The burden of proof is on the shop owner to prove that the charge was authorized and the goods were delivered. For most cards, the maximum you can be liable in the case of a stolen card is $50, as long as you report it timely.

Of course, you have to review your statements and check them against your receipts. Anyone so cautious as you appear to be would already being doing that, right?

Rick "not paralyzed by fear" Denney

Follow Ups: