Re: OK,If Matt Walters can gripe, we can too

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on December 06, 2000 at 11:06:51:

In Reply to: OK,If Matt Walters can gripe, we can too posted by vendor on December 06, 2000 at 02:11:53:

I have less of a problem trusting an individual I know than someone I don't know. We are all that way. On the other hand, there are many safeguards in place that protects the public from credit card fraud, and offers recourse for those who are victimized.

I've posted on this website as a teacher and pro musician. I also work part-time as a police officer, and have dealt with this subject. Here are some suggestions:

1. Deal only with the firms of good reputation. They will help in correcting the occasional errors that happen, and will keep the fraudulent workers out of the jobs, if they want our business.

2. Watch your bills. Keep a sharp eye out on your statements. Oddly, there are some people who will open a statement, and pay the ammount listed, no matter what is on the bill.

3. Be carefull with businesses that are not well-known. If you have to buy from them, consider alternative payment methods. If you have to use the credit card, and you have cash advance options from your card, think about using that if you are weary.

4. Trust sometimes. The business is trusting you as a consumer to have a valid card and the credit limit needed for the purchase. The business owner also takes a hit in one form or another for those who default on their credit card bill. Credit card fraud more often takes place when a person uses stolen cards.

By the way, I am not the Tom who weighed in on this in a more negative fashion.

Be careful....

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: