Re: Re: Re: Low F in Mahler 1, First Mvt

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on December 04, 2000 at 22:41:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Low F in Mahler 1, First Mvt posted by Aubrey Foard on December 04, 2000 at 22:24:05:

I see what you're saying, and I do agree that as a member of an ensemble, it is not up to you to definitively determine what to sound like. However, assuming the player is a good musician, (s)he will provide the sound that is called for, whether based on previous performances by pros (hence setting the status quo) or based on the conductor's request (which, in turn, will most likely be based on previous recordings/performances). And playing along the lines of the status quo is always a good idea if you are looking to satify the audience (eg not Stravinsky's Rite of Spring premiere). That being said, the ideas of the status quo can vary from individual to individual. If I go to here a concert by some Europian orchestra who's tuba is somewhat, well, Europian-sounding, I might question that as I compare it to the fundamental-rich American sound that I am used to when I see the CSO. But then again, that orchestra would be playing more for the "natives" who would be used to THAT sound. So where does that leave us? I suppose we need to determine the status quo by being exposed to (or talking to those who have been exposed to) previous interpretations. From there, we can reach a general conclusion as to the sound we want to make.

And I feel I must quickly tackle premieres here too. I try to liken the premiere piece to something else I have played before (a simple example--a new sousa-like march to stars and stripes). That way, you can again get a general idea of the sound to go for, which can then be put into the context of the new piece (or is the other way around, trying to put the new piece into context . . .).

Well anyway, whatever of my ramblings you can decipher, that is my method of attack. This is a very interesting topic.

Erik

Follow Ups: