Re: Re: Mirafone 1816v F-tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 03, 2000 at 22:29:12:

In Reply to: Re: Mirafone 1816v F-tuba posted by Ken Sturgeon on December 31, 1999 at 14:20:02:

I've not played the mirafone, but something Ken said caught my eye. He said that he currently plays on a Yamaha 621, which is, in my opinion, the best small F on the market. But, and it's a big but, the Yamaha's size tempts one to play it with what is typically called an F tuba mouthpiece.

I played with an old Parantucci Model 9 mp on an unworthy rotory F, and it was okay, if somewhat oinky in the lower register. When I auditioned better F's at TMEA after a year or so suffering with that instrument, I tried them all using the same mouthpiece. I bought the Yamaha. But the F-tuba mp was still oinky on that horn. On a lark, I tried the Yamaha with the mp I used in my 186--a 7b Helleberg. The bottom of the Yamaha opened up like the Grand Canyon.

My point is that Ken's 621 may be constrained by an F-tuba mp. I now play a Warburton mp, with a largish cup and a medium backbore--similar to the Rose Orchestra I now prefer on the big horn, but with a bit sharper rim.

And I can play lower on the Yamaha than I can on the BBb, though I'm sure that exposes some terrible weakness on my part. In the upper register, I can't play the Yamaha any higher, but I can surely play it up there more securely.

Rick "Small horns can sound surprisingly big" Denney

Follow Ups: