Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Complete Arban Method Book for Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Brekhus on December 31, 1999 at 11:58:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Complete Arban Method Book for Tuba posted by Chuck on December 30, 1999 at 17:50:17:

Oh, I don't know...I haven't played t.c. for years. An actual tuba version of the book was just more "user friendly" for me.

In other words, I don't feel that I still know my t.c. well enough to be able to play through the book without "thinking about the notes"...(t.c. to b.c. conversions etc.)

My time with treble clef instruments was not very long, and I feel that for me playing tuba parts is easier than translating trumpet parts. I could have purchased the trombone version and played down an octave, but I sometimes have "brain farts" and play wrong notes when reading a octave lower than written. For a quintet I played, I wrote all of the first trombone parts down an octave on manuscript paper so that I would not make a mistake during the performance.

The bottom line is that I did spend more to get the tuba version, and its perfect for me because I didn't want to bother with the work of reading treble clef parts in bass clef or the work of reading down an octave out of the trombone book.

The content of each book is the same, and if you feel that you can play just fine out of the trumpet or trombone book, go for it. I wanted the "real" tuba version and I payed more to get it.

Happy New Year,

Tom

Follow Ups: