Re: M. Weston 2000 tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete Krill on December 28, 1999 at 17:23:03:

In Reply to: M. Weston 2000 tubas posted by Matt Walters on December 22, 1999 at 19:42:29:

I bought one. Tried the first four at Dillon Music. My impresssions so far comparing the Meinl Weston 2000 to the 2155:

The MW 2000 is lighter and more resonant, probably because of the hand-hammered bows that are used.
I prefer the tone quality of the MW 2000. To me it is clearer sounding and more resonant, as I said.
The MW 2000 has an unconventional upswept lead pipe, which keeps the horn in a more vertical position while playing (rather than leaning foward). For me this position requires the use of a tuba rest (DEG). Once you get used to it, it is a more relaxed playing position.
I was able to adjust the slides on the MW 2000 so that the intonation is close enough to eliminate slide pulling during performance (a first for any horn I have owned.)
The receiver supplied with the horn was too big for most of my mouthpieces, so I am having the Dillon Adjustable Gap Receiver installed on the horn.
The horn is more expensive than the MW 2155, reflecting the additional hand labor involved in manufacture and the silver-plated finish.

Since, it takes me nearly a year to get really used to a different tuba, I will probably have more observations later.

Thanks Matt for your patience in helping me select a horn.

Pete Krill

Follow Ups: