Re: Re: Are Hirsbrunners THAT inconsistent?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by a guy on December 23, 1999 at 21:23:18:

In Reply to: Re: Are Hirsbrunners THAT inconsistent? posted by Gary Press on December 23, 1999 at 12:23:42:

I have been getting used to my new HB-4/4-CC over the past few days, and at first I was getting that "hollow" sound that I have experienced at T.U.B.A. shows, etc, when playing the HB's. However, after just a few days of figuring out the scale, resistance, etc., I am getting a very rich, full, and smooth sound out of the instrument in all ranges. I have never played a big tuba that was this flexible as this, nor one that slurred as easily, no matter which slurs in whatever ranges.

Years ago, I had a RM-4/4-CC that I enjoyed very much, too. It offered more resistance than this HB, and I think that is the main thing that I have adjusted to over the last few days.

The HB ain't perfick, but I likes it...I DO wish that the HB people had gone back over the pre-made (by someone else) valveset before (or after - WHENEVER) they soldered it to their body. My slides were not mounted perfectly parallel, which was annoying - particularly considering that a brand new silver plate job had to be screwed up just a little to remedy these problems.

Follow Ups: